Not many people – outside from other balloon professionals (aka my fellow “balloonies”) – know that you can become a Certified Balloon Artist. This certification is offered only by the Qualatex Balloon Network (R).
Step 1-3 are written exams. This weekend I submitted step 4 in the certification process: photos of my own work and the associated forms for evaluation.
Today I received the response to my work from the testing center:
“Excellent! You are set!”
Certified Balloon Artist testing focuses on skills and technique, understanding of design theories, business skills, safety (both for people as well as the environment), and ethics.
Some of the skills and knowledge required to pass the CBA exam are:
- Balloon and environmental safety laws
- The use of correct tools and materials (and using each correctly)
- Skills and techniques for designing and building professional balloon arrangements, decor, and deliveries
- Design principles
- Math (as it relates to balloon structures & helium)
- Marketing, sales, customer service
- Basic business skills
- and much more.
The last step in the CBA testing process is a 4-hour practical test and oral presentation to a panel of industry leaders, which I’m scheduled to take in October 2018.
Until then, I’ll be studying, practicing, and reviewing everything there is to know about being a professional balloon artist.
Wish me luck!